Lucy’s Spring Picks
Spring is definitely in the air as climbing temperatures and bright colors begin to creep their way into sight and mind. Naturally, Lesley and I have rather particular visions for next season as we’re ready to shed winter layers in lieu of some fresh and fun pieces. Read on for my Spring 2011 picks!
1) Tribal Prints: While the tribal trend seems to have resurfaced in spring’s past few fashion cycles, designers and fashionistas alike seem to re-embrace the trend wholeheartedly. Tribal prints are the perfect way to play with color and experiment with print, perfect for adding an unexpected asset to your overall look. If you want to play tame, go for basic black and white. There are, however, ways to make a statement with crazy vibrant hues, reminiscent of the 90′s.
2) Sheer Floral Blouse: A sheer, romantic blouse is a springtime staple. Wear it with shorts or skinnies for a modern vibe, or pair it with flares or anything high-waisted for a boho, 70′s vibe. Crucial accessories? A floppy hat and wooden platforms (see Lesley’s corresponding post below).
3) Fringe: The fringe, although new to the fashion scene this year, has literally taken off in record-time. The trend has surfaced everywhere, from trims on jackets and vests to full-fledged garments. It’s entirely up to you how far you want to take your fringe (I personally like to stay on the subtle side so as not to appear too flapperish), but you have an extremely wide selection of items to choose from – designers have chosen to be extremely creative with this trend. Here are my picks….
4) Crochet: While lace was the anchoring material behind fall’s “Victorian lingerie-inspired” trend, designers have switched textures while keeping styles similar this spring with crochet. Crochet, a “warm-weather lace;” offers a softer, more casual look with equally intricate patterns.
5) Saddle Shoes: Depending on your educational history, these two words might take you back to your grade school uniform if you went to private (or Catholic) school. Believe it or not, these famous lace-ups from the 40′s, 50′s and 60′s are making a huge comeback on the fashion scene. Right on par with the oxford craze, saddle shoes tone down an outfit, looking adorable with printed ankle socks or knee highs.
Hopefully you’re exploding with visions of spring fashion. If not, GET ON OUR LEVEL!!!!!! Lesley and I cannot wait to hit up Newbury Street for a spring shopping extravaganza, but in the meantime we’ll just have to brave the chill of these final winter days from the comfort of our computer screens. Happy shopping!