Just when I think I’ve seen it all, I stumble upon MORE crazy nail art ideas. While nail stickers are definitely fun, there’s something so cool about actually doing the painting yourself. Take a look at my latest nail finds:
Ombre Nails via Refinery29
-Lighter, opaque basecoat color (ex: Sephora by OPI Ocean Love Nailcolor)
-Darker, opaque nail tip color (ex: USLU Airlines by Bernhard Wilhelm TKO)
-cosmetic sponge for blending
1) Apply basecoat color and wait to dry.
2) Pour a small amount of darker, nail tip color onto a flat, throwaway surface (such as a blank CD) and dab with cosmetic sponge.
3) Using short, quick strokes, pat on dark polish layer by layer, focusing to deposit more color on the ends of the nails.
4) When almost dry, use the topcoat to slightly blend colors together.
Split Nails via Refinery29
-Opaque nude polish
-Opaque black polish (preferably with a precision brush to make things easier)
1) Start by painting nude polish on the bottom of your nail in a rough triangle.
2) Taking a thin black brush, draw two criss-cross hatch marks across your nail to create an “X”
3) Fill in the upper three regions of the “X” with black polish.
4) Cover with clear topcoat.
Newspaper Nails via Refinery29
(Photo via beautylish)
-nude, or any light opaque shade of polish
-sheet of newspaper
-alcohol (rubbing alcohol is fine)
1) Cut newspaper into ten strips and set aside.
2) Apply basecoat and two layers of colored polish.
3) Once nails are completely dry, dip one nail into alcohol; then dip newspaper strip into alcohol, shaking off excess.
4) Press newspaper strip over nail bed (ink-printed side down) and apply pressure with an alcohol-dampened paper towel.
5) After ten full seconds, slowly peel off strip. Repeat process for each nail.
6) Allow nails to fully dry and apply topcoat.
Galaxy Nails via Through the Wormhole
(Photo via you and me)
-various shades of opaque polish (a dark black/navy/purple color for the base, a pale blue, a white, a green, a pink and a yellow color (I know this sounds like a lot of polish – you don’t need to use them all, but more colors will enable you to better add dimension to your galaxy)
-small brush or toothpick
-flat, throwaway surface
1) Cover nails with basecoat and let dry.
2) Paint nails with 2 layers of dark base color.
3) Take cosmetic sponge and lightly dab nail bed with a small amount of white or baby blue color – be gentle and light!
4) Repeat dabbing technique with white, green, pink, and yellow colors.
5) Take a darker, royal blue and dab around the edges of the “nebula,” shaping and darkening the star clouds. Add a clear glittery coat to add sparkle.
6) Use a small paintbrush or toothpick to add a random assortment of “stars.”
7) Let dry and cover with topcoat.
I’m really eyeing those ombre nails….wish I didn’t always chip my nails like 2 seconds after I paint them.